Over the last decade a lot has changed in the global software development ecosystem, and perhaps one of the most significant changes has been the move away from monolithic “Waterfall” project methodologies toward a more Agile (and specifically SCRUM) paradigm.
You will have certainly heard about the enhanced efficiency and flexibility that a SCRUM-based approach can deliver on your software development projects, and you may even have been involved in projects of this nature. There is a growing number of organisations globally that have retooled to support SCRUM development and are reaping the benefits every day.
But while SCRUM is sometimes viewed by those new to the methodology as being less process-driven, proscriptive, and stringent in its approach than more traditional strategies (like Rational Unified Process for example), the reality is different. While SCRUM certainly does support project agility by empowering teams to continuously fine-tune the project roadmap in response to changes in technology, requirements and owner feedback, it generally requires a much higher level of team member sophistication, knowledge and process understanding to succeed than has been necessary in more linear methodologies.
In response to this need, Mitrais’ Centre for Competency Development (CDC) has been working hard over the last few years to equip our team with all of the SCRUM-specific skills necessary to help our clients transition to or continue with their Agile development projects. Our aim is to be a valuable partner to our clients, able to accelerate project velocity by providing comprehensively trained and experienced staff to plug into existing SCRUM implementations or provide authoritative advice on how to transition to SCRUM for upcoming projects. This is an on-going priority for Mitrais.
By mentoring key staff through internationally recognised certification pathways offered by quality external accreditors, Mitrais is at the forefront of organisations standing behind our international client group and augmenting their software development capabilities. Our trained and accredited team members can support our clients’ internal teams in ramping up to Agile and fully benefiting from the advantageous that SCRUM offers when well implemented.
The range of accreditations that our SCRUM Certified Professionals have already achieved is broad, and is paying dividends to clients right now. Some examples of these accreditations already held are:
- Professional SCRUM Master I – team members demonstrate a fundamental level of SCRUM mastery and have proven understanding of SCRUM (as described in official SCRUM Guide) and how to apply it in SCRUM teams.
- Professional SCRUM Master II – team members demonstrate an advance level of SCRUM mastery, and a proven understanding of the underlying principles of SCRUM. They can effectively apply SCRUM in complex, real-world situations.
- Professional SCRUM Product Owner I - team members demonstrate a fundamental understanding of the SCRUM framework and how to apply it to maximise the value delivered with a product. Certificate holders exhibit a dedication to continued professional development and a high level of commitment to their field of practice.
- Professional SCRUM Developer I - team members demonstrate knowledge and understanding of SCRUM and their ability to build complex software products using SCRUM in real-world situations.
- ICAgile Certified Professional AGILE Coaching (ICA-ACC) – team members demonstrate knowledge and understanding that primarily focuses on the mindset, roles, and responsibilities of an Agile Coach. The certificate holders have proven foundational team coaching skills using team development concepts for starting and growing teams while focusing on teams and organisations as human systems. They also exhibit the skills needed to create a safe environment for meaningful collaboration and healthy conflict resolution within an Agile team.
This is only the beginning, and we are committed to moving further with this certification program. For Mitrais partners and clients, these qualifications bring several very tangible benefits. Those already using SCRUM in development projects have access to accredited software developers from Mitrais that reinforce their credentials. For those wanting to transition to SCRUM, advice from Mitrais’ proven experts will be invaluable in helping to properly implement what can be a complex and nuanced paradigm. In either case, this certification program is just one more demonstration of our commitment to providing world’s best services that add value to your business.